Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wasps

A while ago, I was taking care of something in the garage, and I noticed a wasp nest that I had never seen before. Now normally I would just spay it myself, but because of other things I decided to call some pesticide people to spray it for me. The guy came over and I showed him that nest as well as other places where the wasps like to build their nests. He sprayed all around the garage and all around the house. A week later I went outside and found this nest on one of the basement windows.


It's the same kind of nest that made me call the pest people in the first place, only much bigger. I'm guessing that this one is about six inches in diameter. This means war. I had the guy come out and spray again, and I also bought a wasp trap and hung it up in the back yard. Within a day the trap had already caught some buggers.

No no one has been stun yet. (Except maybe the pesticide dude, the second time he came it was in the middle of the afternoon. And that is the worst time to spray, it's when the wasps are most active.) Still, I want these gone. If anyone has any hints, I'd be happy to take them. As far as I can tell searching on the internet, this nest is for a bald faced hornet. However, even though the trap I caught is supposed to be for hornets, I don't think that's what I've caught. As far as I can tell, these are yellow jackets. Maybe there's some bug experts out there that can shed some light on the subject.


Labels:

1 Comments:

At July 15, 2009 at 9:07 AM , Blogger Joseph said...

I have lost track of the number of hornets nests we have found in our yard this summer. But we have also deployed techniques that seem to be keeping them at bay.

The hornet/wasp trap has been incredibly effective, but only in the area that we put it in. Each side of the house should have one, if possible.

Also, they like to hide their nests, so make sure there's no place for them to hide; we've found nests hidden in grape leaves, bushes, inside screen doors, and inside garbage can hinges. Eliminate hiding places.

One trick that I've also been wanting to try is spritzing liquid smoke in problem areas. Liquid smoke is actually made from real smoke, and bugs hate smoke (probably because it signals fire danger).

Let me know how it goes.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home