Monday, August 17, 2009

Fear

I've been reading the book, "Tribes" by Seth Godin, and I starting thinking about what how he describes "the factory." If you've seen "The Incredibles," then you've seen the perfect example of what Seth is talking about. Early in the movie, you see Bob Parr working at his desk when the boss calls him in. Bob goes into the bosses office where the boss starts rambling about cogs in a clock. All that the boss cares about is maintaining the status quo, and maintaining the bureaucracy. While in the office Bob see's someone getting robbed. He wants to go help, but is held back. Why? At first you may think that it's the boss that's stopping him. The real reason is fear. Bob is afraid of lossing his job (even though he hates it.) He's afraid of being seen. He's afraid, but the only thing that leads to is anger and more trouble.

I've been reading other books that talk about how fear holds us back. As I've been doing this, I've been motivated. That motivation has been drowning fear. Fear of change. Fear of taking a risk. It's all beening pushed out by motivation. It's an amazing thing, this motivation. It makes me feel better, and gain more self worth. Hopefully it's also leading to a lot of growth.

Fear paralyzes
Hope enables

Labels:

3 Comments:

At September 7, 2009 at 7:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

 
At September 11, 2009 at 7:21 PM , Blogger Kabaju said...

How true it is

 
At October 14, 2009 at 9:59 PM , Blogger Gregarious_Geo said...

I have to disagree. If fear was so bad it wouldn't have survived through our evolution.

Fear keeps you from being stupid. When I was a kid I did alot of crazy things... I am too scared to do them now... and thats a good thing.

Moderation is the key: Fear enough, but don't over do it.

Geo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home